Nomex® is an inherently flame-resistant, high temperature resistant meta-aramid fibre that doesn’t melt and drip or support combustion in the air. A key factor in the protection provided by Nomex® is its ability to carbonize and thicken when exposed to intense heat.
This typical reaction increases the protective barrier between the heat source and the wearer’s skin and minimizes burn injury, almost comparable to the way a modern car protects its occupants with air-bags.
Nomex® derives its flame resistant properties from its unique structure. As this thermal behaviour is obtained by its molecular structure and not by applying a flame retardant chemical substance to the fabric, yarn, fibre or polymer, Nomex® offers permanent protection which cannot be washed out or worn away. Fabrics made from Nomex® offer inherent and durable heat resistance.
• J & K Ross and DuPont recommend that all layers are made of inherently flame resistant materials
• Inappropriate underwear could ignite or melt, thus having an adverse effect on protection and
aggravating the outcome of an electric arc incident
• Nomex® offers single layer and multi-layer protective clothing solutions against electric arc hazards, conforming to IEC 61482-2 when tested according to IEC 61482-1 (Open arc incidents), and IEC 61482-1-2 (Arc in a Box or confined arc incidents)
Electric arc protective clothing can receive IEC 61482-2/CDV certification if one of the following
requirements are met:
• the ATPV value of the clothing must be at least 4 cal/cm
• the clothing has to pass at least the electric arc box test Class 1.